Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Tomorrow...

Just reading that title often brings to mind thoughts of wonder and uncertainty. Unfortunately, if you're like me right now, the word "tomorrow" is even tougher to handle now than ever before. I bring up this word beause I recently re-heard one of my favorite sayings:

"I don't know what tomorrow holds, but I know who holds tomorrow".

I've always liked that, and quite frankly, I'm not even sure of the author. I recently did something that is probably one part strange and one part cheesy (high on the "Velveeta meter" as I say). I printed this saying out and taped it up on the inside of the door that exits to the garage in our house. Why would I do that? Well, if you want to quit reading this right now you can just chalk it up to "he's weird"...but, here's my reasons:

1) That door is often one of the last places I see before going to bed at night. I'm typically locking up, etc and from there its off to bed...either for a good night's sleep, or, if I don't have my hope tied on straight, it could be for a sleepless night...you know worrying about...dare I say..."tomorrow".


2) That door is also how I leave the house every day. As is often the case, when I'm late for work, wondering what awaits me that day.

See, the saying is kinda cool to me in that it's catchy and easy to remember. But what it really points me to is some words from my ultimate boss, found in Matthew 6:25-34.

Check it out here: Matthew 6:25-34

So what I'm ultimately saying here is this...that little piece of paper on the door is really a notch on my "belt of truth" and I'm "putting it on" a few times a day.

So what works for you?

2 comments:

  1. This is by no means profound, but I'm fortunate to have a 2 year old that will break into song and belt out "Jesus Loves Me" anywhere, at any time. Every time I hear Ava sing this simple song, it reminds me that I have all that I need...His love. This is just one small way I can put on my belt of truth each day!
    Micah

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friend at work passes along "Today's Word with Joel & Victoria" and I thought Monday the 26th's message went right along with us wearing the belt of truth and putting on God's armor. I have attached it below for any of you that are interested.
    -Jessica

    You Are Equipped

    "…I have equipped you…" (Isaiah 45:5, NLT).

    Do you feel like you are facing something that is over your head? You may be facing something big today, but that is a sure sign that you have a big destiny. You may feel small, you may not see how it´s going to work out, but you´ve got to remember who you are: a child of The Most High God. You have been created in His image, and you are equipped to overcome.

    When times get tough and you don’t see a way out, don´t allow yourself to get discouraged. Dig your heels in and have the attitude, "I’ve come too far to stop now. This may be extraordinary, but I know I´m an extraordinary person serving an extraordinary God."

    Every morning when you wake up, remind yourself that you are equipped. You are empowered. You are anointed. You are strong. You are talented. You are creative. You have been armed with strength for every battle. There is no challenge that´s too difficult for you. No sickness that can hold you back. Your enemies may be powerful, but your God is all-powerful. Keep standing, keep believing because you are equipped to live in victory in every area of your life!

    A Prayer for Today

    Father in heaven, I come before You today with an open and humble heart. Fill me with Your peace and confidence and help me to stand strong in You. Thank You for Your faithfulness today and always. In Jesus´ Name. Amen.

    ReplyDelete