Sunday, February 15, 2009

I don't know why, but...

This posting is a bit of a follow up to the one below. Today, when pedaling my bicycle against 20 mph winds there's some things I just couldnt get out of my head related to the marathon example below. Back in November of this past year, I decided that I was going to train to run the Country Music Marathon on April 25, 2009. Since doing my first one in 2006, I had trained for one in 2008 but got hurt before I could do it. However, that's because I was running too fast and didn't train smart. This year, I decided to run slower and train smarter and was happily on my way. I even found some friends who were training to run their first marathon and we began running together, and I was grateful to have friends to run with. I was running slower and feeling great...not even some of the normal nagging issues I can get when running a lot of miles.

In early January, in one of the most freakish scenarios I could ever imagine, I severly hurt my left knee during a run. My doctor told me that while it could take up to 8 weeks to heal, he felt I would probably heal quicker and could run again in 2-3 weeks. Well, after sitting out for 3 weeks, I tried running again and found myself back to square one with unbelievable pain in my knee. Another 2 weeks and I tried again...same result. Basically, I had no shot at running the marathon in April. Meanwhile, my friends are doing great. They did a 20 mile run this weekend and are well on their way. I'm very happy for them, but must admit, I'm very disappointed that I'm not with them. Every time I talk to them about it, I have to admit it bothers me. I just cant help it.

As part of dealing with my disappointment, I decided I would start riding my bike again and train for a race called the "3 state 3 mountain challenge"...to be held in Chatanooga the week after the marathon. I even called a friend of mine, an avid cyclist, to see if he'd join me. He said he'd love to, but that he'd decided to train to run the Marathon and since that's the week before, could not do both. His training is going well and he's well on his way to doing his first marathon. I've also got two co workers who are also training to run the marathon in April, a first for both of them.

It's funny, last year pretty much everyone I talked to said I was crazy for trying to run a full marathon, and I never came close to having friends to train with me. This year, it seems everytime I turn around someone I know is well on their way to doing what I desperately want to do myself, but cannot.

Why did God decide not to allow me to do this? Why are so many people around me able to do something I cannot? Honestly, I don't know, but...I do know this: God is doing something here...something for my good... and, one of these days, I'll get to see what it is. In the meantime, I'll just keep pedaling against the wind and I'll cheer for and encourage my friends.

I BELIEVE THAT GOD IS GOOD.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are experiencing something like another person in our class. God is good! Sometimes we can not see what He is doing but we can know that what He is doing is for our better. Kinda like when a parent has to do something for the better of the child even though the child does not understand or like it. We must know that God's way is the better way and that He has our best interest at heart....someone said to me before...you may have missed several hundred divine appointments with God....if you had done the traiing for the marathon you could have missed several appointments with God. -Rebekah (i have to post anonymous cause don't know how else)

    ReplyDelete