Sunday, March 8, 2009

“God is never late, but he misses a few good opportunities to be early.”

Sometimes we get so fixated on the “thing” we are waiting on from God and the “thing” can be a fill in the blank. God I want ______ or I need ______ or help me with ______. Then we sit back and do what …wait. Do we really wait? Are you good at waiting? More than likely if you are like me I am waiting on God to do the thing that I asked for and I am not happy to WAIT. I want it now. I immediately (and I mean before I say Amen) start to look for the “thing”. I may even have a backup plan if I don’t like God’s answer or if I think that he is moving to slow. Am I speaking to anybody here? I have been studying Esther in a women’s Bible study on Sunday nights and I had a revelation or light bulb moment as I like to call it. We where in Chapter 5 of Esther and we were at the part where Esther has prepared a banquet for King Xerxes and Haman. The King asks her “Now what is you petition? It will be given you. And what is your request? Even up to half the kingdom it will be granted.” Esther 5:6. OK, now you have to understand that she has been fasting and praying for 3 days for God to deliver her people, the Jews, from their annihilation. The King has just asked her to tell him what she wants and it will be given to her “up to half the kingdom”. She doesn’t ask she WAITS until the next day at another banquet she prepares for the King and Haman. What was she thinking? Mordecai had come to her and asked her to go to the King on behalf of the Jews and beg for their lives. She has been praying and fasting for 3 days for the "thing". She has the opportunity in front of her and she WAITS. Oh, to be like Esther and wait on the Lord. You see if she had not waited the outcome would have been very different because even though Esther was ready King Xerxes was not. God had a sleepless night planned for him. (Esther 6)

“God is never late, but he misses a few good opportunities to be early. But, oh, the wisdom of God to know that if the answer comes to early we’d miss His greatest act.” I don’t know about you but I want to experience His greatest. Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD Ps 27:14. So instead of waiting on the “thing” turn your focus and wait on the LORD. Wait on his good and perfect timing. He has a plan and it is so much bigger and better than you could even imagine. Wait on God to work the "thing" out.

1 comment: